Thursday, May 07, 2015

Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science (Great Discoveries)Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science by Lawrence M. Krauss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

With the disclaimer that Richard Feynman is my all-time favorite physicist, I thought this was a great book. Lawrence Krauss can get goofy with his writing sometime - like in A Universe From Nothing, for instance - but here, he expressed no ideology other than that Feynman was a remarkable person and physicist. That's a claim that is very hard to argue with. I've read the other biographies, but I get the most insight into how Feynman approached problems from this treatment of his life and work. Krauss digs up some of the best accounts of Feynman from people who worked with him or were inspired by him. Being a physicist himself, Krauss went back to Feynman's original publications and the publications of those who built their work on his and even if he had not written this book, I'm certain that he gained a remarkable perspective on how his own work was influenced by Feynman. Now, if you want to read about the adventures that Feynman had - and they are awesome adventures - I would suggest reading Surely, You're Joking Mr. Feynman, What Do You Care What Other People Think and Tuva or Bust. You won't regret it. However, if you want to get a sense of how physics was influenced by Feynman, read this book.

View all my reviews
Post a Comment