Sunday, March 20, 2016

I"m Not A Baseball Fan

Blockade BillyBlockade Billy by Stephen King
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

First. allow me to make a disclaimer. I am not a baseball fan. I don't understand why people are attracted to the game at all, but I do accept that the sport has devoted fans, and many a reader of this book might find my 2 star rating harsh, but this is my review and reflects only my take on the story.
I found the premise of the story as reveled near the end of the book both uninspired and unimaginative. Please forgive the lack of detail. I don't want to spoil the story. Like a few of King's other works - been there, done that. We've seen it all before, Steve. Could you please make up a new, imaginative and more inspired premise? Back in the day, you used to do that quite well.
The narrative is done in the style of an elderly person who must include every detail and personal take on the story as it is being told. While that does have some charm, we've been down this road with Stephen King also. It's formulaic at this point.
I don't know if Steve was trying to convey a love of baseball through this yarn, but with me, he succeeded only to the extent that he made it clear that devotion for the sport is possible. There was nothing at all that I found inspiring about the way the sport was played or the attitudes and behavior of the players, fans and other participants. The detailing of the history of the game during the late fifties was yawn-worthy to me. I'm sure, however, that a baseball fan would be likely to enjoy all of that.
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a much better story in my humble opinion. At least in that novel, you didn't get beat over the head with a baseball bat. Read Blockade Billy at your own risk.

View all my reviews
Post a Comment