Saturday, August 13, 2016

Daddy Issues and Time Travel

Harry Potter and the Cursed ChildHarry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

SPOILER ALERT!!!! Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is (technically) the 8th book in the famous Harry Potter series by J K Rowling. It takes place 17 years after the Battle of Hogwarts and in fact, picks up right where Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ends. It details a particular adventure had by Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy (sons of Harry and Draco respectively). The use a time turner to try and right what they perceive to be a terrible wrong via a trial and error method that results in a world that has no Harry Potter and where Lord Voldemort rules. As with all the Harry Potter stories, this one deals with relationships - namely the one between Albus and Scorpius as well as the relationship between each boy and his father. Yes, imagine that! A play that features characters who have daddy issues. Gee, that hasn't been done before - like 782,423 times. It's a minor quibble I have with the story, but at least it was done well if somewhat predictably. The only other quibble I have is that the Albus's first two years at Hogwarts are summarily glossed over. I don't understand why that was necessary. It doesn't enlighten the journey of any of the characters or figure into the plot. I did like that the reader gets insight into Harry's relationship with Dumbledore and his understanding of Lord Voldemort. Harry even comes to understand why fate had to roll the way it did in his life. I'd always wondered if he'd ever come to terms with that. Those who know me might wonder if I had any problem with the whole time travel theme. I didn't, but that's only because this is the Potterverse we're talking about here and in the Potterverse, all you have to do imagine something for it to be possible. Now, if you want to know what the consequences of trying to establish a Potterverse in this universe are, I highly recommend reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Time travel and its physical as well as philosophical implications are actually addressed there. I found the last third of this book impossible to put down. The story, although slow at first, builds into a very suspenseful tale that is worth your invested time.

View all my reviews
Post a Comment