Truth Pledge


I signed the Pro-Truth Pledge:
please hold me accountable.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Keeping That Zoo!

The Zookeeper's WifeThe Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Detailing the lives of a Polish family in World War II Warsaw, The Zookeeper's Wife engages the reader through masterful literary style and excellent scientific descriptions of the flora and fauna of the region. The last 10% or so of the book has an extensive set of historical notes and an excellent bibliography. It is as much a book to be appreciated for the story and writing style as it is serve as a reference book for the history, people and wildlife of the region.

I started this book as an assignment for a book club that I belonged to back in the day, so over the last 6 years, it's been on the back burner. I find Ackerman's style sometimes difficult to handle, because I find myself reading to be informed and her flowery style gets in the way of that objective. When I slowed down and got wrapped up in the story and language she uses, I enjoyed her style very much. The only author I've ever read who could be seamlessly poetic and informative was Carl Sagan. Others may find her style more palatable overall. The fault is mine. I really can't complain about it. It's an excellent book. I highly recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments: