Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Boy Who Lived (Even Though He Never Once Farted)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Those who know me are aware that for 11 years, I refused to read a story about a boy who never once farted and laughed about it. That is, after all, what real boys do. They fart and laugh about it. I know. I was once an 11 year old boy. However, my friend, Tara, worked on me until I gave in and read the first book (really just to make her happy) and then, wanting to set a good example of being committed, I read the second book, which still didn't get me enthusiastic about reading the rest of them, but once I got into #3, I was hooked. I finished the series in late 2015 and now that Pottermore has its book club going, I thought I'd give the series a listen. This particular audio version is well read and unabridged. It was a joy to listen to. You have to hand it to JKR - she's not the world's most brilliant writer, but she can spin a yarn that would keep anyone thoroughly engaged, especially when it's being read to you by an excellent reader. Anyway, I'm glad that Tara worked on me. I'd have never read the series otherwise and there is enchanting magic in those pages. After all, it's about the boy who lived even though he never once farted. If that isn't real magic, I don't know what is.

View all my reviews
Post a Comment