Truth Pledge


I signed the Pro-Truth Pledge:
please hold me accountable.

Friday, November 23, 2018

In Need of an Editor!

The Princess BrideThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The movie was charming, entertaining, witty and imaginative. So was the story in this novel. So, why not five stars? Because William Goldman ruined the reading experience for me with his constant interrupting the story to go on and on and on and on and on about his experience adapting the book, making the movie and talking to Stephen King - none of which I cared the least a bit about. I didn't mind him telling about how his father read him the story when he was small as that was also part of the movie, but the rest was complete nonsense and uninteresting to me. I confess that I meely skimmed those parts of the book (taking up about 25% of what was written). I don't know if there is a version of this book that doesn't include all the absolutely boring interruptions, but I'd prefer a copy of that, thanks. In any case, the movie is so good and so much like the story as told in the book that you don't need to read the book, unless you're interested in how the story came to be and a lot of other minutiae that Goldman includes.

View all my reviews

No comments: