Truth Pledge


I signed the Pro-Truth Pledge:
please hold me accountable.

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Looking For Something Frightening?

Burnt OfferingsBurnt Offerings by Robert Marasco
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been meaning to read this book ever since I got the paperback in 1985. I've had the kindle and audible version for a couple of years now, so that's how I consumed the book.

In 1976, Dan Curtis (of the Dark Shadows fame) directed a lovely little horror film of the same name as the book. I didn't know it was a book back then, but when that bad boy came on TV, it scared the living crap out of me! I particularly loved the little music box theme that I often played on the piano, which frightened my baby sister, Laurie, half to death. Ah, good times!

Looking back on the film now, I appreciate the effort that Dan Curtis took to assemble an all-star cast and create what I consider the masterpiece of his horror productions. I never imagined that the book could be better, but it was!

Robert Marasco tackles the horror of insecurity, obsession and helplessness in the face of uncontrollable events through the story of a house that wants to live. It's a wonderful novel full of gripping imagery, memorable and all too real characters as well as a narrative that forces the reader to look at what must not be seen, but what everyone must face. I love this novel more than I do the movie, and I love that movie!

Read it! I command you! :-)

View all my reviews

No comments: